This document provides an initial migration plan for projects moving to the Skpr hosting platform.
Skpr’s support managers recommend a 6 step plan when migrating an existing application to the Skpr hosting platform.
Step 1. Discovery
Discovery is where all stakeholders come together and discuss the project/application.
During the process, a Skpr support manager will take notes and modify this plan to meet stakeholder requirements.
Topics which will be discussed include:
- Responsibilities - Determine responsibilities for this migration project e.g. who will be responsible for the application migration, review, and final Go Live tasks?
- Certificates - The Skpr hosting platform automatically provisions certificates. Some clients prefer to bring their own certificates which requires extra coordination for provisioning and deployment.
- DNS - Determine which team(s) manage the DNS for the application. This is to avoid last-minute migration dependency issues.
- Integrations - External services to which the application connects and determine if any platform modifications are required.
- Business Requirements - This is an opportunity to discuss the business aspects of the migration e.g. migration windows and timelines.
- Security Requirements - Determine if the site owners have an established security process that needs to be considered during this migration.
Step 2. Migration
The Skpr support manager and development team will work closely to deliver dev, stg, and prod environments running on top of the Skpr hosting platform.
Application changes/updates may include:
- Local development tooling
- CI/CD workflow configuration
- Application changes e.g. integration with Skpr Configuration
Step 3. User Acceptance Testing
The site(s) can now be tested by stakeholders and a Go Live window can be established.
Step 4. Preparation
- Certificates provisioned and ready for deployment
- DNS configuration and update window provided to the appropriate team(s)
Step 5. Go Live
The site DNS will be updated and any additional Go Live tasks can be executed e.g. synchronize the database and files from the original site.
The Skpr support manager and development team will work closely to monitor and report on the status of the DNS configuration update and perform initial testing.
Once complete relevant stakeholders will also perform UAT testing.
Step 6. Support
The Skpr platform team will continue to work closely with all stakeholders to ensure any issues identified post-migration are resolved.